Dub's Ultimate Re-Introduction

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dub's Ultimate Re-Introduction

Post by dubyahhh on Mon May 19, 2014 3:45 pm

Introduction:
I'll begin this in what I think is the safest way. A disclaimer. If you don't want to spend half an hour reading then you should probably stop here. I've been out of college for a week now and my job doesn't start until Thursday so I have nothing to do but make this nice, very very long, and extremely thorough. Also, this broke the site’s limit for how long a thread can be (apparently anything over 10,000 words is too long) so it’s split into separate posts below, even though I truly wish it would all just fit into a single thread. It’s all in order of how I wrote it, just split up. Maybe that will make reading it easier!

This is my story. I'll try and make it as centered around this community as I can. I will guarantee nothing, having not written it yet, and because I know how my mind thinks. There will be side jaunts and the train of thought in this isn't going to travel in a straight line. It'll be all there once I'm done however, so have fun reading it! I'll only promise that there will be very few grammatical errors and spelling mistakes, besides some that may slip through thanks to the way I talk in real life (I do misuse words, to be fair I had very poor English teachers in my time spent in the public school system). But back to the story, I'm actually going to try and make this obscenely long. Something I would look at and hesitate to read. As stated, this is "my" story, but it's really "our" story told from my perspective.

I'm going to try to insert old posts in spoilers, screenshots, and whatever else I can to make this a perfect post. My masterpiece, if you will. As far as Tap Tap New Beginnings is concerned, that is. There will be no holding back (except for my own or others' personal information, I'm not going to talk about that. That would be wrong.) as far as the content of this is concerned, think of it as me telling everyone what happened from my perspective (which was often right in the middle of everything "exciting" or "dramatic" that was going on). At this point, I think it's not hurting anyone or anything to just tell everyone everything. Remember, this is all just from my point of view and in no way reflects what happened to any other specific members at the same time, and a lot of it happened years ago, so if I remember anything incorrectly just tell me and I'll fix it. I don't think anyone knows everything about what's happened in this community over the course of its existence.

Without further ado I'll begin since I imagine I've lost people already:

----------
Stuff About Me:

Name: Dub (full name is dubyahhh. That's a lowercase d with three Hs, abbreviated is with a capital D because that's what everyone calls me by anyway (this is all you'll get out of me on this, for now))

Home State: New York (I do not live in the city. That place is far too big for me.)

Birthday: Hobbit Day, 1994! The one good thing about my birthday is that it's the best day of the year because of Middle Earth (I don't add anything to the day, not that I could. I mean, hobbits. And, you know, Samwise Gamgee. Who could top that?)

Height: I hit my head a lot on stuff

College Major(s): Bioprocess Engineering/Chemistry (Chemistry is fun so I thought I'd add that in too.)

Old Job: Window Washer/Custodian at SUNY Geneseo (this is as exciting as it sounds, which is not at all. Also, janitors are certified to clean the cleaning equipment and therefore make more money than custodians, who are not certified (even though both do basically the same work). If you've ever wondered what the difference is then now you know! I know it was news to me when I was informed of it.)

Current Job: Painter at SUNY Geneseo (as of this Thursday it will be anyway)

Job During College: I tutor General Physics 1, Organic Chemistry 1 and 2, and Principles of Mass and Energy Balance since I liked those classes and nobody else really tutors them. If you're in general physics 1 ask me anything related to your class and I'll get you an answer, I can totally guarantee that. I love helping teach people, even if it's often frustrating.

Favorite Song: Let It Be by The Beatles. Always has been and always will be. I don't care if it's a four chord song. I'm currently trying to get myself to play it on the piano since I recently discovered we have the sheet music for it! Smile

Favorite Band: The Beatles

Favorite Singer: Freddie Mercury (I could listen to him sing all day, it's insane)

Instruments: I can very, very slowly play a piano now(I'm very excited about this). I've taught myself some easy songs this week since there's been no one around to judge. All I can say is I envy those of you who have actual talent for that sort of thing!

Favorite Author: John Ronald Reuel Tolkien (Again, he gave us Samwise Gamgee.)

Favorite Character of All Time: Samwise Gamgee (I loved him in the books, but they made him even MORE the true hero of Middle Earth in the film adaptations! Sam is the best, that's all I have to say on the matter.)

Favorite Comic Strip: Calvin & Hobbes (if you don't love this strip then you should try exploring the magical world around you and get back to me on it.)

Favorite Game Franchise: Pokémon (If I haven't made this clear before)

Favorite Game(s): Any Generation 3 Pokémon game, and Ocarina of Time (I played this the whole way through with my ex last summer and she and I both just loved it!)

Life Goal: Teach myself to juggle five balls (getting through college, getting a good job, starting a family, and growing old happily knowing I did those things well are second through fifth on my list. I say this half-jokingly but also half seriously. I REALLY want to keep five balls going at once!)

Favorite Subject: Chemistry. I think I made this obvious though. Specifically organic chemistry; in spite of only getting a B in it the first semester it was really informative and for once there were practical uses for it!

Least Favorite Subject: I hate writing. I hate it so, so much. I cannot express in words my extreme disdain for the entire subject. Yes, I like to write. No, I do not like being graded on it. The professor I had this semester required a 96 for an A in her class, at a science school. No, no, no. I got it, but that was because I had to. I know, this is somewhat ironic given the length of this post, but this is the truth and you can quote me as saying that I wholeheartedly do not enjoy writing classes. Grading is arbitrary anyway and I had to try and qualitatively argue my grade to my professor last week because she tried to give me a 95.4. I just don't understand how people could ever assign a grading system to writing as there's no one way to do it.

Favorite LoL Team: Cloud 9 forever! I'll never understand the mobs who worship TSM (too much chanting for me). Unless any TSM fans are reading this then TSM is just fine. Razz In Europe I like Fnatic because of xPeke. But that's just me. Obviously SKT is dominating right now anyway on the world scene but I enjoy watching my teams play.

LoL Champ I'm Best At: I'm best as Sona, or a few other supports and ADCs. The bottom lane is where it's at. I appreciate all you people who do the other roles and keep poor little supports like me safe though <333 even though I can't carry a team as support and am currently sitting on an 11-19 record in ranked or something in spite of having a KDA of 4ish. The trick is to not die. I had a zed on my team yesterday who thought he was a tank and kept trying to back door their open top inhibitor. Remember you have teammates, people. Don't let them down by trying to be a hero.

Pet Peeves: Smoking around little kids. I don't care if YOU do it, but little kids don't need to see it or breathe it in.

Special Talents: Hm... Ookay, I can juggle four balls (or three pins), do a 3x3 (only a 3x3) Rubik’s cube, and I can perfectly memorize literally anything that remotely interests me. This rules out biology of any sort, or anything pertaining to art. I wish I could memorize those things too, but I can't. I do know the element song and 115 digits of pi. The element song was for extra credit in gen chem, pi was because high school calculus was boring beyond belief. Song lyrics are fair game here, but I have to really like the song. It helps if the song is sort of random too, I'm not sure why. Like the element song or We Didn't Start The Fire. Logical progressions, but also just single mostly random bits of text when you look at the individual lyrics. I can also juggle a golf ball on a golf club (it's called juggling for some reason) because high school golf gave me a lot of time to teach myself to. Oh, and I play (played, anyway) chess and I am (was?) pretty decent. I'm probably still alright but I doubt I'd win much anymore against anyone I used to play with.

Unsorted Trivia: I've been to over twenty of the fifty states, usually to see my dad who was in the navy. I had a lazy eye (my right eye) until last May (about a year ago next week) when I had surgery to correct it. I now have 20/150 vision without glasses and 20/15 with glasses or contacts. I like climbing trees, it carries over from when I was little and spent whole days up in trees reading. I love pianos, saxophones, and harmonicas in songs, just my personal preference. I legitimately don't care at all what other people do in their spare time, as long as it doesn't affect me if it's illegal. By which I mean I don't judge; (first semicolon of the post there!) my opinion has always been people can do what they want, even if I wouldn't do it myself. I find this is a useful trait since it really cuts down on arguing with others. I can balance stuff on my nose, which I guess is trivia. I do everything left handed except for writing and golfing because I'm naturally a right handed, brown eyed, brown haired guy and I thought that was too boring. Eventually I'll get writing down lefty, but I don't see golf ever changing. Oh, and my left eye is a full shade lighter than my right eye but it isn't really noticeable since it's basically just a slightly dark chestnut (a little reddish) compared to a dark brown. But if you know they're different you can't unsee it, or at least I can't. My senior year in high school I ran cross country and golfed, and my teams won a total of zero meets/matches. And I wouldn't trade my experiences from that year for anything.

Current Interest: I should add this in. Gen 3 remakes confirmed! I played Sapphire for SO long when I was little and Emerald was just a fantastic third addition to that gen. I could name every single gen 3 Pokémon and where they'd be found in any of the three games. I loved the gen 3 games with my entire being and poured my heart into them. I'll admit, gen 2 was "better" and I played those games a lot too, but gen 3 is just completely underrated. I know everything about it and I've been hoping for a couple years now that they might create remakes of them (I don't know how they'll do it but I can't wait anyway!). And that dream is finally a reality! You guys should be excited too! This November! I'll actually buy them both I'm sure. I know this doesn't really fit in an introduction, but this news is going to keep me happy until November, so it's a big deal to me. So it can go here! And back to the rest of this post:

Alright, I think that's enough about me! I'm not very interesting. But there's enough stuff to answer the "who's Dub" questions for a little bit. I'll grant you all a reprieve from listening to me talk about me specifically, even if this is technically my introduction and I'm allowed to do that. Wink

~Carl Sagan(Look him up)

dubyahhh
N00b

Location : Upstate New York (There's more to the state than NYC)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dub's Ultimate Re-Introduction

Post by dubyahhh on Mon May 19, 2014 3:48 pm

My Experience with Tap Tap Revenge:

I was given an iPod for Christmas in 2009. I had played TTR before this, but not having a way to play it whenever I wanted I had never gotten good at it. You know, the guy who could fc a medium song every couple tries and thought he was the best player out there (okay, maybe not that bad, but I don't remember being that good). I created my own TTR account, aptly named dubyahhh since that was my high school nickname (I mean my real name. Razz) and I was in tenth grade then, on December 26th, 2009. This was back when everything worked right in TTR, before hackers. Right around when TTR3 first came out. It hadn't been hacked to shreds at this point, and with all of the old TTR2 masters (krohn, beach) around it was a pretty great time to be playing the game. I remember this as being towards the end of TTR's golden age, which was brought upon by TTR3 being made available for free and this inviting unwanted attention from people who were only interested in hacking the leader boards. Regardless, on with the story.

Around February 2010 I started to see people talking about TTVIP in the chat rooms and in online play in TTR. At the time I didn't think much of it. I wasn't very good anyway; I wouldn't have met the 2000 Online Rating or Level 50 requirements until at least that May. I will be honest here, since I said this was a tell all. I didn't have many friends in high school so I spent a lot of time playing games in my basement in the summer of 2010. Or I did, until early July. I would have guessed this date, but I checked a couple old screenshots to confirm it. On July 6th, 2010 I was approached by nidhia96 in TTR chat about joining TTVIP. I officially joined TTVIP on July 7th, 2010. The rest of that Summer I spent online at TTVIP working to become a sapphire, their elite rank that didn't require me to be skilled (I wasn't) or donate money (I had none then). But a lot happened before that summer was over, so I should probably mention some of it. By which, of course, I mean all of it. Or a very strong summary at the very least.

Not long after I joined TTVIP I decided it was a little big for me and I thought I should join a mini clan. I can't remember exactly how I ended up choosing which one (I know I wasn't impressed at the time by "tits or gtfo", which was James' MC(he may appreciate the mention if he reads this)) but I ended up in Popular Tappers. Popular Tappers was the newest mini clan at the time and was run by (I honestly couldn't remember this, but fortunately I did have it written down somewhere (an email to Jean)) Lexus1, who had recently become a platinum (the rank below sapphire and the lowest rank where members could create their own mini clan). As I said before, I didn't have much to do that summer. I finally had the smaller forum (there were 10 of us in PT at the time) I'd been looking for and I took full advantage. You know how active Shy is and how not really active I am? That summer I was as active as she is. I posted everywhere, I had new ideas I tried to have implemented, I did everything. So it was a surprise, but not wholly so, when Lexus offered to make me the admin of PT about a week after joining it. Her parents had cut her off from most electronics and she didn't think she had the time anymore to run PT. Of course I accepted her offer, and I can fully guarantee that this site would exist if her parents had let her stay active and I'd never become PT's admin. It's sort of strange, looking back at it all. There are so many little things that resulted in all of this; this site and you guys knowing each other. It's really fantastic. But I'll get back to the story.

I was a bronze when I was made admin of PT. In retrospect, I had no idea what I was doing. But new experiences make you learn, and being thrust into an entirely new environment makes you learn fast. I'll continue by saying a little bit about PT's members. I can't remember if he or I came first, but my first friend in PT was pie113. He was just... He was very laid back and quiet. His presence, to me, was always felt but he didn't say much unless he felt he had to. He was definitely more level headed than I was at that age. He was very helpful to me when I was trying to learn how to run a mini clan. I believe I made him admin one week when I had to leave to go to a camp. He was my second in command, always. I'm sad he isn't around anymore, but that's how life goes sometimes. The next member of PT I'll mention specifically is jeanneye. Jean was my competitor and my friend. She and I had what I remember as being a very healthy rivalry. She was as active as I was once she joined (again, I can't remember when she or pie joined PT, but I'm very glad that they did). She was my third in command. I never made her admin like I did pie because I don't think she'd have wanted it anyway. She was always happy and had something to say to everything. She joined TTVIP ten days exactly after I did and I never let her forget that I beat her there! I just feel I should mention she and pie because they influenced the way I ran PT and eventually the way I decided to not run it. Without them, this place wouldn't be here either. They were fantastic people and I miss them both... I wish sometimes I could go back and spend a day with them in the chat box. With all of the members of PT. They all were important to this story, but I mention pie and Jean because I believe they were the most influential of the entire group to me personally.

Except... Except for one other member of PT. There was one member of PT who shone above the rest as far as contributing to the community. At one point I was trying to fill up the slots in PT to reach our quota which I had had increased from 10 to 15 (and eventually decreased to 14 to make us different and because I couldn't fill the 15th slot). To do this I PMed random members that had been online in the last 24 hours (there were a hundred or two to choose from back then). This strategy worked once. I sent dozens of PMs and I received one positive response. I still remember who it was, because I have gained the utmost respect for the man since then. The only member who ever cared enough to respond to my PMs was Sadaar. He had been a member of TTVIP since... I think it was since a week after it was created, actually. He was member 22, either way. He probably forgot this, but I don't think I ever would. So he'd been there a while. I recall him telling me once that he'd only been online that day to check up on the free songs he'd missed over the past month or two, or something along those lines. So he almost missed joining PT, yet another near miss. He was a diamond, having donated to TTVIP at some point. He was interested in my PM and agreed to join PT soon after. I'm going to go on a bit of a detour now, since I skipped how I earned a few ranks between becoming PT's admin and getting Sadaar to join PT and that's actually more important than it would seem.

Back to my rank at the time. To earn silver in VIP you needed forty posts and one award. Awards were difficult to earn. So I turned to a more experienced member to figure out how to get one. I'm not sure how I ended up choosing her to talk to, but I eventually asked Deborah to help me acquire the award I needed for silver. I believe she recommended I post a rant about something since that was one way to earn an award at the time. I ranted about smoking near kids (I hated it then and I still do. I wasn't even thinking that I'd ranted about it when I said it was my pet peeve earlier in this post) and eventually was awarded by Ansar (their awards admin). This earned me my silver rank and sparked my friendship with Deborah, who I'm still glad I know. She was a driver in the events that followed that summer in my race to sapphire.

I can't say I remember much about what I did to earn my gold and then platinum ranks. I'll continue, then, in this fashion. On my way up the ranks I learned more about the clan's inner workings. I learned how Allegiance had been the leader for quite a while, but eventually gave her title to John, aka tekn0. I met most of the admins and super admins in chat around this time, and I can't remember them liking me very much. They had their own clique with some of the other members and since I had joined later than them I simply wasn't a part of it. That drove me even more so to become a sapphire as I believed I could earn their attention that way. Most importantly I learned about the creator of TTVIP, PSyKoW. The genius developer behind the biggest TTR clan of its day. Had he been less secretive and I known more about him and what he was fully capable of I may not have done some of the things I did, and again, this site might not be here. Silver to platinum taught me who was who in the staff of TTVIP. It failed to teach me why many of them were staff members and looking back I think this was the period where I gained a lot of resentment for the existing staff of VIP. I don't know if it was reasonable or an overreaction on my part, but I do recall with perfect clarity questioning myself as to why many of the staff members were allowed positions of power within the clan. Again, I was fairly immature (in my opinion) and I was also desperate for their attention. I harbor no resentment anymore, and if any of the old staff members read this (I'm thinking of James here, but there might be others) then I apologize for placing you all into that one group in my mind. The entire staff wasn't bad. I found the quote from Deb that sums this up better than I could: "I noticed that when you felt the leadership was unfair, you stopped acting in a respectful manner yourself." This was my mistake, and I believe I learned from it.

I can't find anywhere else to mention this but I feel it should be mentioned. I'll try to be brief since it's not really a "good" thing that I would like to talk about. Of all the staff members at that point of the Summer I had the privilege of meeting one by the name of Lilly (lilrainbow). There is only one person I can honestly say I will never forgive for their actions over the coming months, and that would be her. I do not like lilrainbow and I haven't since she decided to resort to middle school name calling in what I remember as an unprovoked argument I had with her. I'm sure she had some reason for this, but she never told me what it was so I'll never know. She's important later and I met her during this period so I'm just going to mention her now and try to get back to her.

Earning my sapphire rank I do remember. Before I mentioned that I had a healthy rivalry with Jean. Well, that rivalry's biggest moment was our race to sapphire. I earned 300 VIPoints (I think it was VIPoints, I can't remember exactly what it was I got 300 of that day (I want to say it was actually 300 posts but that sounds too out there to me)) in one day to earn my sapphire rank and beat her. She had gone to a carnival so she said I was cheating, but I still say I was allowed to use that time to gain an advantage. Finally being sapphire, in slightly less than three months, I thought that I would gain some attention from the staff and maybe be offered an admin position sooner rather than later. I had been admin of PT this entire time and one of the clan's most active members and I thought that I had earned at least some consideration for a staff position. I know, staff positions aren't something you ask for, they're something you're given once you earn it. I think that the problem was still the clique the staff had, and since I never cracked my way into it I didn't have a chance of ever being an admin there. The point I'm getting at here is that I was frustrated with how I was being treated as an actively contributing member. This mattered a lot, but I have to jump back to Sadaar and Deborah and from there I can hop back on this track.

Sadaar was a Godsend for PT. I had been running out of things to do for my members. We were all active, but not like I wanted us to be. Sadaar changed that. Immediately upon joining he arranged a contest for me, or pushed me to arrange it myself. He offered to supply actual money as reward for winning, something that I thought amazing at the time. So we had our very own contest, just us in PT! I don't remember who won. I think Jean may have won but passed on being rewarded... I'm sure I could find out, but it's not that important. I'll also mention that the currency of that contest was PT Points since I think this may help Sadaar at least crack a smile. It also sparked my personal interest in organizing contests, which some of you may remember we've had a few of. With Sadaar, pie, and Jean behind me I remember feeling like nothing could derail our mini clan. Of course, we weren't the most skilled at TTR, which meant that we weren't seen as being the "best" mini clan, a title I had strove to achieve. This was difficult for me to understand since it seemed to me like if you put in the most effort and time you should be rewarded. Or I thought I had put in the most effort and time, I can't say now that I really knew then what every other mini clan was up to. Regardless, we weren't noticed much by any admins at all and I remember that upsetting me.

I have gone far into my archives of old information to get the order of the next couple paragraphs correct. What starts the end of this major chapter of the story is what Sadaar eventually suggested. He told me one day he'd be willing to make PT its own site(I never asked him for anything, he came up with all these ideas himself (although he would probably assure me I asked him to make us a site, not the other way around)). He'd never made a site before. I'm not sure where he got the idea from. I supported it entirely though since we only had one forum to work with on VIP and I had wanted more since day one. He made us a little site using SMF. I remember thinking it was about the greatest thing ever at the time. He was proud of himself and I was too. It was all we needed. Not long afterwards PSyKoW learned of it (or he had known before when Sadaar was making it; the end result would have been the same regardless of when he found out) and he had us move it from a free server onto VIP's server. This seemed like a good idea to me at the time. It didn't occur to me that he requested we do this not to make our new site faster and more reliable but instead so that he could have the ultimate developmental control over it.

At this same time (August 2010) Deborah had been made the admin of VIP's Street Team and was in very close contact with PSyKoW and the leaders of the clan because of this. I should mention this since it's extremely important. At some point in August I had introduced (or they'd met each other somehow, I'm not sure) Sadaar to Deborah and they had become very good friends, or they seemed that way to me. I like to think that Deborah, Sadaar, and I were sort of a three person team. Deborah saw our PT site and wanted one for the Street Team. This made sense; they were very active and it would have been useful for the recruiting mini clan to have more forums to stay organized. So Sadaar made that for them too, also on VIP's server. He was learning a lot about developing from PSyKoW during this time as well.

I can get to the point now. Over the period from July 7th to early September I had developed the very strong opinion that I deserved to be an admin for my hard work with PT and becoming sapphire but I continued to be denied whenever I would ask about it. I tried to go the roundabout way of having Deborah mention "how great dub was doing with PT" at least, but technically I was still more or less asking for an admin position. I'll admit now that I should have known better than to ask. I should have waited patiently. I may not have been the hardest worker or the most deserving of being an admin at the time. Be my opinion correct or incorrect, I certainly had it and I stuck with it to the end. Were I to go through the entire experience with my current outlook on life I'm not sure if I'd get so upset with the system. I just know that I wasn't happy with it then. A contributing factor to my disillusionment with the staff was the creation of "Staff Helpers" that August and being denied that opportunity as well. But on with the story!

I wish I could say for sure that I was the first to suggest breaking off from VIP to Sadaar and Deborah, but I honestly can't remember. It seems more likely to me that Deborah probably mentioned it to one of us and we thought about it a little and told her we loved the idea. At some point after a fair amount of talking between the three of us (mostly Sadaar and Deborah, I feel like they left me out of it) Sadaar began to create an SMF based site for a new clan. We came to the conclusion that this was the only possible way forward because the staff at VIP had continued to ignore any pleas to change the way they ran the clan. This was when everything started to go wrong. This is also where my account may begin to deviate more from exactly what actually happened to closer to just what I saw and remember.

Sadaar had pie and I test out the new site with him since we were the easiest candidates. Unfortunately, PSyKoW had been keeping a close eye on what was going on with Sadaar (I haven't yet been convinced that the popular opinion that he could read PMs and whispers was wrong) and he learned what we were up to not long after Sadaar finally got the site up. The new site wasn't up long before PSyKoW learned of its existence. The site wasn't up long AFTER PSyKoW learned of its existence. He destroyed it and permabanned(I think it was an immediate permaban anyway) Sadaar and myself for even thinking of making a clan to compete with VIP. He didn't cut ties with Deborah at any point for reasons I still don't know.

The following weeks, I should mention, resulted in us naming what was officially a new clan. It probably wouldn't have caught on had PSyKoW not shut us down so hard. But he did and it did. We named our new clan Tap Tap New Beginnings. This name I believe was courtesy of Jean. Jean at the very least pointed out that Sadaar spelled it with only one n in our first banner. I hadn't noticed but she caught it. The name represented what we thought we were. Not to be a rival clan of VIP in the bad sense of the word but more of a clan for anyone who wanted an alternative to VIP's overwhelming dominance of the community. Tap Tap New Beginning's first official day as a clan was October 9th, 2010.

What I remember about the period following when Sadaar and I were banned isn't much anymore. I had a big part in my old intro about it but I don't remember very much of it. Which makes me pretty sad. Once we were banned I was mostly excluded from the talks between PSyKoW and Deborah and Sadaar. I don't know what they talked about. No one ever told me anything. I know that PSyKoW agreed to give VIP to Sadaar and Deborah eventually (again, I don't think I was considered part of Sadaar and Deborah's side (not that I deserved to be anyway)) and. Well, here's why I didn't deserve to be a part of those talks. Sadaar, being the great guy he is, informed me that he'd been given control over VIP's server one morning and that he was going to rework it that day to better suit our interests. At that point we were willing to go back to VIP and forget about TTNB; we'd gotten more change than we'd set out for when PSy gave us control of the site.

But, being an idiot in the full sense of the word, I proceeded to head over to VIP's chat (I had been unpermabanned in some agreement between Deborah and PSy, but I had been afraid to go back since everyone thought I was a traitor and give away that Sadaar was about to go to work on the site. I don't remember being too obvious about it. This was after a month of these talks that had been going on behind my back remember; I was very excited. I think the only person who realized what I was talking about was none other than lilrainbow. At some point John had made her the Santa Hat on VIP (I really don't know why her of all people) and she had close enough ties to PSy that she was able to root control of the site away from Sadaar. This was my fault, and I regretted it for the next month or two. Deb told me to not worry about it afterwards but I can't help but think what we could have accomplished had I just kept my mouth shut for another hour. An hour can be a long time guys. I learned my lesson from this.

But, the site was back in the control of the last woman I'd have ever wanted it to be in. So we were stuck on the site that Sadaar had made for us and were a new clan in full. I should mention that around the time I had joined VIP, way back in that July, TTR had begun its full descent. By descent I mean the hackers had come. By October things had started to get bad. VIP was losing a lot of members since nobody wanted to play a game that was so hacked (plus Tapulous had lost a lot of its customer service once it was bought by Disney that July or August). So VIP was already having trouble when we decided to make TTNB.

The next few months I honestly can't remember much about at all. The archives of the old site didn't even go back that far. NB had around 15 members a day online and VIP still had in the 70s or 80s. It wasn't like we'd destroyed their community or even left VIP ourselves or anything, but still, we were looked upon as outsiders. I do remember these as good times, if only because I had pie, Jean, Sadaar, and deb to talk with on our new site. Since I haven't mentioned our staff at the time I will now before I go any further. We had five staff members; three admins, one developer, one clan leader. The leader was Deborah, the developer was Sadaar, and the three admins were durga0417(I think I got these numbers right), Lucy (inserthugemoticonhere), and myself. We debated about adding super mods as well and eventually did; I'll get to that. We gained a lot of new additions to TTNB at this time as well, but one stuck out a LOT. A fairly little known n00b by the name of Say892 decided to join us as member number 15. He didn't say much at first but if he did it was always an idea that was just fantastic. Seriously, this guy was and is amazing. How as big a n00b as he ( Razz ) could always contribute so much to the community is beyond me. You probably know him for wearing the big crown around here nowadays. Back then he was an even n00bier bronze. Yes, I outranked Ryan at one point (and I'm proud of this fact). But this isn't chronologically in order anymore, so back on track. Ryan became our cheif guide writer during this time (and yes he spelled (or it may have been Sadaar) chief wrong, to be fair I didn’t notice it for at least two or three months either Razz ) and he was really, really good at it. I might write a lot, but Ryan writes things concisely and to the point. To quote myself from an email to Deb back then, "I like him. He's really nice." My point is, during this time a lot of the older members were active and had a lot to contribute. They're mostly gone now, but I want to mention them here so that they aren't forgotten. The most important time in a new group is its first few months, if you want it to stay stable for years. They did all the work. Sadaar and Deborah ran the clan superbly and everything went alright.

Of course, everything changes. Sometime in either November or December TTVIP closed. I don't know why, it was fairly sudden from what I remember. But just like that, they were gone. We got a lot of their members, but most of them faded away from the community around then. It's sad... There were a lot of good members that I haven't seen since then. I had my lovely conversation with lilrainbow around this time. I normally wouldn't care what anyone said to me, but something she said that day got to me. I don't remember what it was, but I know that I won't be talking to her anytime soon because of it, regardless of whether it was three and a half years ago. At that point we were the only clan besides TTWP that was still solvent. We were forced to waive any entry requirements since the TTR community had very few up and coming level 50s or anyone with an online rating that could have compared to those of the greats. I'll mention James again, whose rating was 4285 (he told me this a couple days ago). My peak was around that area, but I explain why in the next paragraph so I won't here. I will say very clearly however that I am NOT as good as the other pros who were up there at the time (these pros consisted of Ansar, James, and several others who I would definitely recognize but can't name right now).

Quick side note. My OR was so high (like I said, close to James') because when PSyKoW had permabanned Sadaar and I he had also seen fit to hack Tapulous and delete my account there. He didn't delete Sadaar's account, only I got the full treatment. I had Tapulous reset my OR and they overshot it by a few hundred and made it 4k. They also gave me 3 million coins which was about a million more than I'd had. They NEVER gave me my credits back. I had won ten thousand credits that summer (a 2 song track pack cost 100 credits, to put that in perspective) and they never refunded me the 8k I had left when PSy deleted my account. It was recreated for my on November 18th, 2010, if that helps put a time stamp on this paragraph. But not my point, my point is that they gave me a 4,000 OR that acted like it was about 1,200 when I would go to online parties. By which I mean I either won or was close to winning a couple of rounds at our parties and my OR was jumping hundreds of points all over the place. I think I peaked in the 4,200 range. I don't know how, I've only recently gotten good enough to think of myself as being even remotely close to those guys. My OR ended up around 3,600 or 3,700 after I lost a few times at our parties to probably David before their system fully broke so that's what it stayed at till the end. So I DID achieve the four thousand mark and I stayed there for actually quite a while because I was always afraid to play online and lose it. I thought I should mention that PSy destroyed my online existence at one point. Plus I like mentioning that I used to be decent at TTR. Razz

Onwards and upwards again! We were having the same problem as TTVIP had had in that there simply wasn't much up and coming talent playing TTR. We remedied this by removing all requirements to join (I said this before), besides that you had to play TTR. It worked, for a while. We had plenty of members to keep things going. I've also discovered through an old email that Jamie was made an admin in place of Durga in November 2010. Because he's just that awesome! I'll give him his shout out here too. <333

I've spent a lot of time looking for my emails and screenshots from this period and I've decided to skip elaborating on the member problem and approach an issue that I've kept quiet on since it finally went away. I've avoided it because even now, knowing that it's over and done with, I'm still ashamed of my conduct through it. Since we'd started NB the admin team (or founders, as we called ourselves a long time ago) had been trying to get a decent staff of super mods and regular mods to keep the site running smoothly. I now know that this is much harder to do than it would appear to be. We eventually decided we wanted two super mods and mods for every forum. I wanted Jean to be a super mod and deb wanted tweety1356, who had been her second in command on the street team at VIP and was now a member of TTNB. I made it no secret that I didn't like tweety. I was actually extremely vocal about it. I read some of the things I said about this issue last night and if I hadn't known it was me I'm not sure I'd have thought it was me who wrote them. I lacked a sense of respect, I think, and this manifested itself in several extremely uncouth statements to my superior, Deborah. I spent a lot of my time around that time talking with Jean, and Jean also made it no secret that she didn't want tweety to be in any position of power. Between Jean and I we made poor Deborah's life much more difficult than it had to be. I regret this now, and I mention it because it was kind of a big deal at the time. My feud with tweety eventually got us both placed on "probation" by Sadaar and Deborah, who had grown sick of us not being able to get along. I think we'd have both been demoted, except deb wouldn't let Sadaar demote tweety and Sadaar wouldn't let deb demote me. Sadaar's a great guy, in spite of my obvious shortcomings he stuck by me and never spoke down to me or gotten upset (at me, anyway). I can't thank him enough for everything he's done, but that's just who he is. He'd throw himself in front of a bullet for one of his friends. But, back on topic.

Around this time (late December back in '63, I mean, late December back in '10 Wink ) I think I finally realized how big of a butt I was being. It was time to grow up. Now, I can say with certainty based off of several screenshots I saved from chat that I didn't get over my ego until at least mid to late January in 2011. Also around that time I experienced a severe shock due to some family stuff and I turned to deb and Sadaar for moral support. What happened to me in February 2011 isn't something I wish had happened, but by talking myself through it and having deb and Sadaar help me too I not only got over it but managed to come out pretty far ahead of where I'd been. It was very much so a growing experience. I look back at my handling of the situation as the best thing I've managed to do thus far in my rather uninteresting life. The purpose of this paragraph is to show that I got over myself and managed to, for the most part, grow up and stop fighting with tweety. This was also very important. Eventually, tweety was promoted to admin and I think things were mostly quiet.

In April 2011 we decided to throw a contest. A big one. I'm not sure if it was my idea or not but I went with it. Being the clan's organizer it was my job to run it and I did actually do most of the counting for that particular contest. I had tweety and Jamie as supporting admins since deb and Sadaar never got into the whole running a contest thing. I don't remember very much about this contest, and I can't even remember who won it in the end (might have been Jean again, or Welen). I do remember that I officially retired as an admin (for the first time) at the end when I announced the winners. I don't know if it's clear from what I've written above, but the first six months of NB and the preceding three in VIP were tough on me. I made mistakes, and a lot of them. I made a lot of friends too. It was strange to have such close connections to people I'd never physically met, but I'd learned to adapt to that too. I thought it was about time I retire, so I did. Sadaar was sad to see me "go" since he's always just so loyal that he missed me before I was gone. I don't know if anyone else missed me. I didn't really leave, I just stopped being an admin and started being a sapphire. I'll make a note of this here too, the first week of May 2011 was the only time I didn't have access to the admin panel and staff lounge here at NB. It only took a week before I missed it and mentioned that to Sadaar, who secretly made me a developer in disguise (some of you may have noticed this on the old site). That was what he felt he "owed" me I guess. He owes me nothing, but like I said, he's too nice a guy to have left me hanging. That's the story behind why I was a sapphire and still had admin powers. I had more than admin powers in reality; by making me a developer Sadaar had given me access to the entire admin panel and he just sort of forgot to limit anything. I've never had access to the server or anything, but I'm pretty sure I had the third most power (technically; I never used it in spite of having it) ever since then. Sorry about the aside here, but I thought I should explain why I always had the freaky powers in spite of not always having a crown.

To continue on our merry march through 2010 and 2011, on May 18th, 2011 I sent Jean an email (she had left NB shortly before because she didn't want to continue arguing with tweety, plus I think she may have had a minecraft addiction to take care of around then too) saying that tweety had been "booted" by deb and was no longer in the clan. Sometime around then tweety had verbally attacked deb or something along those lines (according to a screenshot in said email to Jean), so she was out. I was a little cocky about this; to me it seemed like I'd "won" our six month long argument since I hadn't been kicked out. I spent the summer of 2011 happily retired.

I should also mention that VIP had reappeared under new ownership at some point after it was destroyed the first time. I don't remember when it happened. VIP came and went a couple of times. Now it's gone for good, of course, but it was still around fairly recently ago. Their server and domain were owned by Harrison, one of Jamie's (ex) friends, but the clan itself was run by, at different times as far as I can remember: Clay (ichigobankai321),  issha (ilovepeace (or something like that, he was nice)), Tyler (tyleryarnelli), and of course, the ever present and unwilling to leave the clans alone Lilly (lilrainbow). I didn't make my appearance generally known in the new VIP, and I chose instead to only log on from time to time on Jean's account. I couldn't go on any site that didn't have Lilly permabanned anyway. Eventually she was permabanned, but as I've said too many times already, I don't remember when. I can certainly guess WHY, but when I don't know. I just want to mention that concurrently to my story that VIP was around and going through multiple Santa Hats. I'm sure someone like James would remember more about this and is probably shaking his head at me for not remembering anything about it. It wasn't part of my story though, so I'll just mention that VIP wasn't fully killed when PSy left it in late 2010.

TTNB continued on its own merry way, not really too in touch with VIP. We had several members who were in both clans, but also a lot who were exclusive. I'm not going to lie, I remember very little about VIP after it came back. I don't think it's my place to talk about it without having the knowledge of it. Therefore, rather than try to keep muddling through half remembered history I'm going to stop here.

I've covered my introduction to TTR, my admission to TTVIP, the age of Popular Tappers and me growing disillusioned with the management of TTVIP, my escape from TTVIP and the formation of TTNB in spite of PSyKoW hacking everything Sadaar made to shreds, and the ensuing drama between tweety and I that almost broke the newly formed TTNB. What happened between the summer of 2011 and now? Well, if you're reading this then you probably know. To me, once we had established the clan and were on sure footing I drifted away from it. Hence me retiring after six months of being an admin. I've come and gone since then, but I always come back. I'm going to cover one final thing before I end this.

~Carl Sagan(Look him up)

dubyahhh
N00b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dubyahhh on Mon May 19, 2014 3:49 pm

As I stated before, Deborah was the first clan leader of TTNB, being voted to lead by Sadaar and I at its foundation. And since she isn't now, there's a story there too to cover!

Good old n00b (Say892) was made TTNB's assistant developer around early September 2011. This was after jumping ranks from bronze ---> gold ---> sapphire ---> admin. No, his rank progression didn't make sense them and it doesn't now. But that's how it was. He is, I believe, a software engineering major (correct me if I'm wrong Ryan) and he's always been interested in coding for as long as I've known him. Sadaar took him in under his wing and I hope that Ryan learned something from his experience with my own personal genius developer. I don't know what they talked about or what Sadaar taught him, but eventually Ryan became very fluent in keeping the site running from the server side. He's good with that stuff. I am not. But the next part of this story is the one that makes the most sense. You see, Ryan is smart. He's very smart. Besides that, he's level headed. I've found screenshots of tweety yelling obscenities at me and Ryan reminding me that it's best to keep quiet. He was a very solid member from the formation of TTNB until the staff unanimously voted to make him the clan leader on August 20th, 2012. We retired Deborah, who had left us to focus on her personal life, to the title of duchess. This was a big deal at the time; we'd never switched leaders before. But Ryan is, I think, a natural leader, and the decision made sense. I'm proud to have been allowed to serve under him as an admin (since I don't contribute much). Point is, we changed leaders. I thought at the time we made the best choice, and I've seen many times since then that it was. I wrote threads announcing Deb’s departure and Ryan’s crowning and I’ll just include them in spoilers here:

Deb's Departure Thread:

Members of TTNB,

I was nominated by the staff to create two threads. They are both important enough that I'll be up a little late to type them both. This is the first. Its importance lies in the history books for TTNB. For those of you who know what "dub + history" means, you should sit down and relax for a nice long read right about now.

What could be so important in clan matters that crazy old dub is willing to stay up so late and type for it? Well, my friends, it involves a change in staff. A big change. One that's actually never been done before in TTNB.

Deborah. The clan's leader for a year and ten months. What more could a small clan ask of someone? This thread is a thank you from the staff to Deborah for all the time she gave Tap Tap New Beginnings.

Deborah has always been a friend of mine. I can't tell you how many conversations we've shared. I can't tell you how many problems she's helped me with. I'm going to try and convey my thanks through the words in this thread.

It all started in July 2010. Deb was a gold VIP and was kind enough to help a bronze she didn't even know get an award. That alone was nice enough, but she continued to assist the young man in all of his endeavors, not limited to the mini clan he'd been given charge of. She made sure he knew what he was doing and she was always sure to be there with advice.

That was me. Deb didn't know me at the time but she still stopped what she was doing and helped me along. I couldn't have asked for a better mentor. I was new to online. I'd never chatted and I just wanted to rank up a little. With no one I knew (yet) I was very lucky to have deb there to help me.

When she was done she had turned a shy bronze into a slightly less shy sapphire with a very active mini clan. What more could I want? My own clan? Ha! That sort of thing just didn't happen. Besides, things were good. My mini clan was going great, deb was in charge of the street team, and all was well.

Anyone guess the third person here who ended up changing everything? It was @Sadaar. Now, this is a tribute for deb so I won't go Ito specifics, but let's just say that Sadaar = PSy + some morals and kindness.

I'd picked Sadaar to make a site for our mini clan after I recruited him. Deb was always helpful and she and Sadaar became good friends. More so than I'd ever expected. They just hit it off. Maybe it was that they were both older and more mature than me, but I always was impressed by how they got along.

So, I got off topic here. Back to the silly idea for a new clan. Everything was going perfect. Deb had assisted me in keeping a mini clan running and I'd enlisted our members to help her in her endeavors. It was a win win. Without her, I probably never would have stayed the admin of that small, 15 person mini clan. And without that mini clan there'd be no TTNB today. So really it all comes back to deb.

There were five founders for TTNB. Not to say that there were only five people who created it and shaped its beginnings, but there were five people who its birth was more or less reliant on. Deb is one of those five. Others you may know include Sadaar, Lucy, and myself. Deb was the internal leader of us all, which is why she was declared clan leader. Who else could do the job? No one but her had the courage to declare themselves the leader of a new clan back then.

It may seem like it would be easy now, but back then it honestly wasn't something most people thought could happen. VIP had a complete monopoly on anything to do with the clans. PSyKoW was a tyrant, even if you tried he could just hack a site to pieces. Which he did for us. Multiple times. But deb never gave up. She went head to head in negotiations in order to stop it. I don’t know anything about what went on in those meetings and I never asked. But the hacks stopped, and he actually gave Sadaar the key to VIP. So deb had shown her skills once again.

Since the founding of TTNB deb has always been around to help with certain matters. However, her real life happenings have kept her away for a while. We’re glad that she could give us the time she did, and we hope you all understand what it took for her to do what she did. She was brave when no one else was, and because of her this site is here today. Sadaar manages it, I was there with ideas long ago, but had it not been for Deborah none of this would be here. She’s truly given TTNB all anyone could ask, and did everything needed to to deserve the title of Clan Leader.
”Staff’s Thanks to Deb:

In honor of her retirement the admin team all took the time to write her individual thank you’s.
[@Sadaar]
Thank you is a phrase thrown around far too lightly and without true meaning these days. More of a nicety of social convention than for the true meaning behind the words. So when I say Thank You for all you've done know that I truly, deeply mean it. This is a wonderful little corner of the internet and it never would have existed if not for you. While I'm saddened that your real life's responsibilities has taken you from us, I will always enjoy the memories of your time as Clan Leader here. Please drop in and say "HI!" every once in awhile will ya?
[dubyahhh]
I’m not even sure where to start… I suppose all I can do is thank you for all of your time and input. Not input as in you just did what a clan leader should do, but because you went beyond that so many times. I opened up to you and you were more than welcoming. I’ve been mean a few times, but you were always nice enough to forgive me. I’m glad to be able to call you a friend, and I truly cannot thank you enough for what you’ve done here. It means more than you know. ^^
[@Say892]
Deborah is an amazing lady who helped lead this clan into greatness. It took guts to go against VIP and start a brand new clan, something that's never been done before. Yet against all odds, TTNB grew into a wonderful community, then evolved into a fantastic family. Deborah was always someone to talk to when you needed it, everything was safe with her. As Clan Leader, she was the role model everyone wanted to be. I thought she was great, as she is a bit older than everyone else and still taps better than most people. She was always a great leader, talked to everyone, and made TTNB a better place.
[@McLovin1969]
Dear Deb,
Having been here since the early days of TTNB, I would like to personally say thank you for keeping the site alive during them drama times. I recall being quite shocked at all the action in the chatbox on Fridays and Saturday nites. Then you would show up to calm down all them ranting-raging kids. There must have been a lot of work too behind the scenes. I hope you are proud that today the site you helped create is still up and standing. Things sure have changed a lot. There is no need to close chatbox for a few days. Drama happens now when Dub spots a few spelling mistakes (and he lets us know!). The site has grown into a nice family oriented community where it’s fun to be. Your legacy will always live on here.
[@Holy_Undead]
Thank you for all the time, work, and money you have done to help get this great site going. Thanks for being our clan leader for a long time, I didn’t really get to know you very well but the times I did talk to you was great. I hope the best for you in the directions you go in life and want you to know I appreciate what you have done for us at TTNB.

Once again, I’d like to stress all the work deb put into making TTNB the clan it is today. She really put a lot of energy into it. I personally can’t thank her enough, and I know that everyone who knows her as well as I do can’t either. So we’d like everyone to thank her for her time and effort. If you’re reading this then chances are that you’re happy to be a member here. That enough is something to say thanks for!

”Ryan’s Coronation Thread”:

Members of TTNB,

I was nominated by the staff to create two threads. They are both important enough that I'll be up a little late to type them both. This is the second.

We've got a reason to celebrate! There's been a change in staff, and many of you probably will be interested to know what position is affected. Well, it isn't a lower one, or even an admin or developer.

The staff of Tap Tap New Beginnings is very, very happy to announce that we have a new Clan Leader!

Who could it be? Okay, no more waiting. It isn't hard to guess. It's someone that's been with us since the beginning. They've proved that they deserve it many times, and now they're being rewarded for their time and effort! Smile

If you haven't yet guessed, your new Clan Leader for TTNB is @Say892! Voted in unanimously (since who doesn't love him) by the staff, his official tenure as Clan Leader starts right now! We, the staff, are proud to have him as our leader and know that you all will be too.

To emphasize Ryan's strange rank progression, he went from:
1) Bronze(what a n00b)
2) Gold(I'm confused here too)
3) Sapphire(still a n00b)
4) Admin(just makes him a bigger n00b)
5) Assistant Developer(actually very impressive)
6) Clan Leader(took long enough)

So that's how Ryan came to be your Clan's leader. We know he skipped some things, but the end result would have been the same anyway. Anyone with as much drive and passion for TTNB as him was bound to reach the pinnacle. Smile
”Staff’s Congratulations to Ryan”:

The staff is so supportive of Ryan that we all banded together to congratulate him.

Letters from the staff to Ryan:
[@Sadaar]
I always said that I could not do TTNB alone. That if Deborah or Dubyahhh left I would have to close the site down. When Dubyahhh took his vacation away from the clan there were loooong chats between Deborah and myself about the future of TTNB. Deborah suggested I take on an apprentice -- an assistant -- to help lighten my load. I tried one or two and did not enjoy the experience. But that all changed when you took up my offer. I finally found someone whom I could trust, I could teach and lean on. When Deborah left it hurt me personally, but you stepped up and took on the mantle of leadership. And you have done well. And now with Dubyahhh making his triumphant return, David and Serge being such awesome admins... I feel TTNB is in the best shape it's ever been in. And we have you to thank for that. Even though I am the Developer of the site and helped found the clan, I've always deferred to the Clan Leader in all things. Seems the student has become the master. Smile
[dubyahhh]
We were the n00b brothers long before you were an admin. I can't say I'm surprised you made it to clan leader, so congratulations! I can say that when I pointed you out to Sadaar that I wasn't expecting it, but it didn't take long to see that you clearly had more potential than myself here. I couldn't do any of the technical stuff you do or always have something to say that's perfect for the situation. Honestly, if I'm tongue tied in chat I wait for you to say something. You're just that good with the members. You deserve your rank, and I wholeheartedly support you. I like to think (maybe I'm crazy) that it was me that got Sadaar started with sites and thus he was once the student who surpassed me as the master. Following that logic, you've surpassed him now. Goes to show what happens in a couple years. To sum this up, I'm just very impressed and very happy that you're the Clan Leader. You deserve it and I'm glad to be in your staff. ^^
[Some n00b]
Congratulations to me! You are awesome! Go you!
[@McLovin1969]
Congrats on being our new Clan Leader! It is undeniable that your time and efforts have helped this clan grow so much during the last year. From being right hand to our awesome Dev, I have never ever seen you being too busy to help us out. And always equally too. From brand spanking new noob member to older hard headed one needing help (Yes David that would be you  Very Happy), you are always available and willing. Never had to wait on a PM reply from you. Always around, always watching, you truly deserve this position.
[@Holy_Undead]
Thank you for the countless hours you have spent helping with the site. I know a lot of people don’t see what goes on behind the scene but since becoming an admin I can relate. You have done a lot of great things for the site and I truly believe you are well deserved of the Clan Leader. Looking forward to making TTNB even better with you and the staff we have now.
So there you go! I hope you’re all glad to hear this, and I especially hope that you take the time to congratulate Ryan! He deserves all the praise you can give him. I don’t even think it’ll make his head swell up. He’s just that nice a guy.

To end this nice long thread, I would like to thank everyone in the admin team for their input (I didn’t change any of their words) and for being so happy to help keep the site running smoothly. I’d like to thank Ryan for his time and everyone else for keeping TTNB such a great clan. Everyone, this is where you pat yourselves on the back. Nice job, and thank you from the bottom of my heart. ^^

As I said before, I know very little about the timing of events over the past two years. Therefore, I'm only able to also say the order of admin changes (or at least acknowledge who have been admins and try to get the orders right). Lucy left in 2011 and she was replaced by allegiance (yes, VIP's founder and Santa Hat). Lucy had a touch and go relationship with Deborah, so it wasn't that surprising. For my part, I'll give her a shout out before I'm done. In my absence I believe Serge (Mclovin1969) was made admin. Jamie left and we promoted David (Holy_Undead) to admin from his previous rank of ruby (he's super good). And of course, Ryan was made the sixth admin at some point when allegiance left because he's just too gosh darn amazing and we wanted him on the team. For quite a while the admin team consisted of David, Serge, Ryan, myself, Sadaar, and Deb (who was often away). Since the rather unstable admin teams from the clan's first year the only change has been serge retiring to the promotion of Shyenne (Shycheers).  To make this clear too, pie is on the list below because he made himself an admin during testing stages of the original site because Sadaar hadn't closed any administrator powers to regular members and I always thought of him as an honorary founder (along with Jamie and Jean). I'll explain why Jean is there in the next section. I'm sorry for butchering the order here, but I'd like to once again list the admins of TTNB to ensure they're never forgotten:

Initial Founders: Lucy, Durga, myself, Sadaar, and Deborah (Clan Leader).

Retired Admins/Founders: pie, Jean, Lucy, Durga, Deborah, Jamie, tweety, allegiance, and Serge.

Final Admin Team: Shy, David, myself, Sadaar, and Ryan (Clan Leader).

These are the leaders of the clan that kept it going until now. They're not the only reason it's still around, but they're important people and I want you all to remember that they were important. I don't mean I was important, I mean all those other people up there. They were my friends, and I can't express in words how glad I am to have been on this clan's admin team with them. I would like to point out that Sadaar never retired. He never stopped giving his time to you guys and making sure this clan had a site to gather on. I got him into this whole thing, and I can't imagine life having never met him now. So think, if he hadn't been online the day before I sent him that PM to join PT, I wouldn't have just typed this entire thing for you guys to read. Being in the right place at the right time can be something that just happens.

Here’s a picture I drew of the admin team at one point. Ryan also drew one and I would include that here too but unfortunately I don’t have a copy of it. So you’ll have to do with my poor drawing skills:
”TTNB’s Admin Team, By Dub”:

I think I'm done. I'll continue with a few things I couldn't fit into my makeshift timeline. I would like to address that I didn't mention very many regular members and only talked about admins. I'm sorry about this. I remember everyone I've met here (I remember screen names particularly well for some reason) and I'm glad to have known them. I spoke mostly about what happened in the very beginning of my TTR experience and that was driven by admins. Most of the "regular" members were quiet during my arguments with tweety as they should have been. Basically, I acknowledge that you were all there the entire time. I don't mention anyone in particular because you were all doing what you were supposed to be doing and I was screwing it up. Unfortunately, the quiet times when a clan runs like it should are more difficult for me to remember and that's why I have unfairly neglected many productive and important members who were present during them. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for putting up with me for what's now been three and a half years. You made this clan what it is. I've been along for the ride. There are too many fantastic members for me to mention at once so the best I can do is attempt to fumble with words and to thank you for always being there. With that, I end this section about my experience with TTR. Obviously, it transitioned from playing the game to being focused in the community surrounding the game. It's the people, not the game, that make the community.

Last edited by dubyahhh on Mon May 19, 2014 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Almost got the coding perfect the first time! So close! Ryan messed it up! :P)

~Carl Sagan(Look him up)

dubyahhh
N00b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dubyahhh on Mon May 19, 2014 3:50 pm

Stuff I Didn't Think Fit In A Timeline But I Want To Talk About Anyway:

You probably all know that Ryan and I are n00b bros. Even when I see he's playing LoL I still mention he's a n00b. But, I would like to remind everyone that this once happened, and I quote, "the day i become admin here, is the day you are no longer a n00b". These are Ryan's exact words. Just putting this out there. I don't want it forgotten.

Jean was a super mod for a while. I believe it was sometime around Christmas of 2010 because I have screenshots of my name being "Santa_Claus" and her being "Mrs_Claus". She complained about not having been invited to our wedding. Still made me laugh, three years later. :)I don't want her contribution forgotten either. She was made super mod and tweety was made admin, I believe was the deal. Both are gone now, but at one point they were very important drivers in getting things done around here.

Why did I add Jean in as an admin in the above section? Because this thread is me telling you all everything. I'm not a perfect admin. On the contrary, I think I'm sub-par at best and I've told the staff this many (at least three) times when trying to get them to replace me. My reasoning is my own, but I'm going to explain why I added Jean as a retired admin and you can decide for yourselves whether you disapprove of it or really disapprove of it. Back when I was arguing with tweety (and being a horrible horrible admin for deb) I was very paranoid as to what Sadaar and deb were talking about when I wasn't online. So, being the immature 16 year old I was, I decided that it would be a good idea to have Jean just check the staff chat for me. Since she wasn't an admin I just let her know my password. She kept an eye on everything for me, which was what I wanted. Of course, in retrospect this was a horrible idea. An admin should never give out their password. But I did it. And as a said before, I consider Jamie, pie, and Jean to be honorary founders and Jean was the only one whose account was never officially made the rank of admin so I'm stretching the definition here a little. I changed my password after February 2011 because of my personal discussions with deb and Sadaar using this account. I didn't want anyone to be able to read my personal conversations with them about my family life. So that setup ended not too long after it began. I feel I should mention this because it's one of the things I regret and I want everything that I can remember to become a part of what is now looking like a book. I apologize, again, for not respecting the position of power that was given me by the rest of the clan.

Since I’ve just mentioned both Ryan and Jean I should mention that we managed to Rickroll the entire chat once in the most well synchronized spamming of the shout box I’ve seen to date. I’ll include a picture in a spoiler here of that fantastic accomplishment:
”Most Amazing Thing Ever”:

We've had several more contests since the one in April 2011. I "ran" them, but in reality they were run by the rest of the admin team. I've nearly always been the one in charge in name, but I've never thought it was me doing the work. I'm positive I wouldn't have been able to run the contests alone without the help of the rest of the admin team. They kept things working correctly and I made sure the contest as a whole worked. I want to thank everyone who was ever a part of these contests, be they admin or member. They were fun for me to be a part of and I'm glad you gave me the opportunity to be in the role I was in.

I've somehow managed to get this far without talking at all about me actually playing TTR. When Tapulous closed I was halfway through level 220 with an OR of around 3,600 and over four million coins. I'll sum up that experience as fast as I can. The first extreme song I FCed was I Got Soul, I'm So Wasted by Wallpaper. It's extremely easy for being considered extreme. That would have been the May before I joined VIP. After that I remember hitting level 100 at some point that summer. This was when 10,000 points was 1 XP though. They changed it to 3 XP over the summer around when I hit level 100. That made my march to 200 a little easier. I passed Sadaar at level 136 and that was exciting. I wanted to get to 200 before Tapulous shut down so I rushed it and got there long before that ever happened. Hence the twenty additional levels. One song I specialized in was Battle Royale by The Word Alive because John (tekn0) was obsessed with FCing it at one point and I thought (however faint a hope this was) that if I could become good at it I might be noticed by him at least (since he was the Santa Hat then). I have, to date, played this song at least 200 times and my PR is 2.410 million, compared to our ruby req that is/was 2.310 or something. I did eventually get good at it. I also spent a lot of time trying to FC TTFAF and The Devil Went Down To Georgia. At this point, I've FCed Devil and all of the Dragonforce pack. It was fun getting better at the game over the years. I still can't do multi-lane rolls and I don't think I ever will be able to. They're just not something my brain can process correctly. I'm currently working through Stratofortress and have FCed it three times. There's never a lack of songs to get better at even if Tapulous isn't around to keep adding to the pool of charts. So I did make it to level 200 a without hacking. The only thing I ever changed in the config file was I moved the 16x locations up on my screen because I could never make it through a song without accidentally hitting one before I wanted to. And while this topic has now been mentioned, I will say that my opinion of 16x is that it's a good thing to add to the game, but they needed to add in a toggle for it. No pro ever loved it and I can now see why. It makes the game more strategic but cuts down on the skill level needed for some of the more difficult songs.

Grips are important, I’ll mention those too. I started playing with thumbs and did that for quite a while. That was why I wasn’t very good though. My skill increased dramatically when I learned that there were other grips (this was fascinating at the time), and my first change was from thumbs to DXChain. This allowed me to hit the triples that I’d spent months complaining to myself about on extreme songs. I eventually transitioned over to a piano grip at the urging of April (Durga). There was a period of time when I would have sworn by the piano grip and its accuracy. But of course, I ended up on Beacheagle and I’ve stayed there ever since due to it being, in my opinion, the most versatile grip. I was given an iPad for Christmas in 2012 and I couldn’t continue with the traditional Beacheagle because honestly, my fingers just can’t stretch like that for the larger screen. So I adopted my own version of Beacheagle using my left and right pointer fingers, like usual, and opting for my right ring finger over my right middle finger. I was perfectly content with the normal Beacheagle on my iPod but felt that I had to change it in order to continue playing with my iPad. This has worked well for me as it allows for, in my opinion, faster alternating taps in the middle and right lanes than the traditional Beacheagle. Just my opinion and what worked for me. I’ve used every major grip for a period of at least three or four months (piano was only this long, the others lasted for longer) so I feel I experienced the game as well as I could in that respect. Recently I’ve taken to playing lefty, and I also use my left ring finger (so a mirror image of what I normally used with my iPad). Lefty is difficult. I think it helps in some situations to be able to use more than one finger on your left hand for a lane. Just a different way of looking at it. Smile

I'll also mention that I was made a mod in TTR chat in September of 2010 because Deborah recommended me to the Tapulous staff. I held this title until the day they closed TTR chat, as did many of the members who might be reading this. I shared many conversations with people because of this. Being a mod is tougher than it sounds, but it was also a ton of fun. If someone broke the rules you didn't have to listen to them but you could instead just ban them after a fair warning. The crown did marvelous things. Deborah and clay (ichigobankai321) were big in the moderator group for quite a while. I know that Krod told me I was doing a bad job several times and actually banned me from TTR chat himself. This was because I had banned several people who were being inappropriate and their friends had found Krod and said I unfairly banned them. This is something I remember that upset me a lot at the time. Never ban a fellow admin or mod, everyone. Unless you have an order to from someone higher up in the system. All in all I really enjoyed being a moderator for Tapulous. It was a fun job.

We're also technically a clan for Tap Studio. I can't say much about this because I don't play Tap Studio. I have, but I don't actively. The problem for me is that I don't actually have any songs on my iPad since I don't really listen to music on it. I use my laptop for music. Unfortunately this has caused me to have no real experience with Tap Studio except for what I've seen from its creator. From what I've seen over the last few years is that it's a pretty amazing company! I regret having never gotten into it. I know I should have a bigger part here about it since it's a big portion of the clan but I don't know what I'd say so I'm going to leave it at this. Sorry to all of you who play it and love it! I wish I could say more!

I could probably talk for hours about every little thing that's happened to me regarding TTR and its community. I already said a lot. I want to close this sometime and I still have another two sections to get through, albeit far shorter ones. I do have quite a few old screenshots that I want to include, so I’m going to do that here since they don’t fit anywhere else:
”Getting Pwnd by Jean”:

”Sadaar’s Rarely Seen Developer Dance Caught In A Screenshot”:

”For Ryan, Jean Being Scary”:

”Why Stop At 100% Warning Level On VIP?”:

”Why I’m Technically NOT A n00b Anymore”:

”Sadaar Learning Things”:

”Jean’s PT Poster Thing That I Still Love”:

”Breaking The Site, Post Style”:

”I Totally Beat David Using My Theme (From Lucy)”:

”My Avatar Before It Disappeared”:

”Dub’s Stamp of Approval”:

----------
Shout Outs:

I know most people will never read what I have to write about them here. Again, I said this before, I'm going to apologize ahead of time for not including most people I've met. Unfortunately, I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve (see what I did there? Razz). So if you aren't mentioned, be assured that I certainly know your screen name and a little bit about you, and most importantly that I appreciate you for being here in this wonderful clan. ^^

I'll start as close to the beginning of my TTR experience as I can.

Every member of Popular Tappers: I miss you guys! We had some great times. I still have most of the big threads I wrote for you. You kept me going and got me to stay around as admin when I thought about giving PT away to pie or Jean. I wasn't the perfect admin for you, but I still believe I did the best job I could with the time I was given. You inspired me to give the job of admin my all. Without you, there would definitely NOT be a TTNB and I would certainly not be writing this shout out almost four years after meeting you all.

Deborah: I think I've said everything I could on multiple occasions. I was rarely as good an admin for you as I wish I could have been, but more importantly I think I failed you for the longest time as your friend. I'm glad you've forgiven me for everything, and I want to thank you for being willing to help anyone, even a n00by bronze who wants to know how to earn a silly little award. You're a wonderful person and I want to make sure you know this!

Sadaar: Well, for starters, I'm just gonna say that I love you man (even though I’ve said this recently with my caps lock on, I think it doesn’t hurt to say it again). I can't believe my luck in randomly choosing your name that day I sent you a PM to join PT. You became, to quote myself, my PSyKoW. Most importantly you became my friend. As strange as it seems to say to someone online, you and I have been through more than most friends in real life have been through. Your loyalty never wavered, and words don't work to express my gratitude to you for everything you've said about me even when I wasn't there. I never thought I deserved a friend as loyal as you, but I like to think you've made me better as a person and maybe I do more now than when we first met. You're amazing, Sadaar. One of the nicest guys I've ever met. Thank you for being such a great friend even when I might not have been.

Pie: I miss you a lot, sir. I don't know what else to say. I never was much of a wordsmith. I hope to always remember to at least tell you happy birthday. I haven't missed one for four years! Thanks for the time you spent in PT and in helping make TTNB become a reality.

Jean: You know, I thought a lot while writing this about what TTNB would be like if you hadn't been spurring me on in all of my strange endeavors the entire time and I haven't been able to begin imagining it. You were a driver in big events, if only because of our friendship and the effect it had on me (and my vote for important things). I won't be sappy and say I miss you since you're not sappy yourself (even if I do). I think you left your mark on this clan and I know I haven't heard the last from you! So thank you Jean, for being the co-conspirator (for lack of a better word) I needed so many times.

Jamie: You've always impressed me with your dedication to what you care about. I'm really happy that this clan happened to be one of those things. I have a screenshot of even Sadaar saying he was impressed with your ideas and the contribution you've made, if that means something. You've been a fantastic member since the very beginning and that's why I think of you as an honorary founder. Thank you for your effort and for always being a good friend!

Lucy: I can't insert enough hugs here! If it's any consolation, that's YOUR signature at the bottom of this obscenely long post. You had your issues with deb, but I don't think you and I were ever at each other’s' throats. Maybe, but I think we've moved far past that. I never got to hold your hand and skip into the sunset (you and Ryan did this in chat, I thought it was funny when I found the screenshots) but I certainly wish I had. Love you Lucy! <333 ^^

Ryan: Sorry about always calling you a n00b. It's all in good humor. I don't think higher of many people as I do of you. You've been the clan's leader for quite a while now. I want you to know that I fully believe you deserve it and I'm honestly glad to have known you for the last three or four years.

David: I know I never respond to anything in a chat box and I apologize. It's not my best quality. I'm happy to have been an admin with you for I guess over two years now! Thank you for helping run the clan for so long.

Serge: Your spam battles with Shy made me laugh even though I usually stayed out of the chat box during them. You were an admin for quite a while, and I thank you for that and for how enjoyable you made my time as an admin!

Shy: I would definitely miss your posts if you weren't around. There are so many of them! You picked up the slack when I couldn't and I can't imagine who else would have been better to do it. Thanks for always being so active and cheerful!

Everyone I'm Missing: If you were offended that I didn't mention you, then this is for you. I've often said that it wasn't me, or deb, or even Sadaar who made this clan. All we did was create a site. You all created this clan. It has astounded me on multiple occasions when I would sit back and realize just how much had happened because of you. The fact that I don't know who to mention here specifically is, I think, a good thing. It shows just how many fantastic members we've had over our existence, that even an admin who's been there through all of it can't name them all in a reasonable fashion. A thank you doesn't begin to cover it, but it's all I can offer. Thank you ALL for what you did to make this clan become such a fantastic place. Maybe this compilation of screenshots (courtesy of ryugecin) will help:

”Dub Singing In Chat About TTNB’s Members”:

----------
Conclusion:

This has taken me four days to research and type. That's four days of Dub writing, and I write a lot. I'll include some stats about this at the bottom since I think that stats are interesting and this thread in particular has me very interested in some, specifically a word count.

In the writing of this "re-intro" I went very deep into my email archives and memory to make it as close to what happened as possible. Doubtless I've made mistakes. Mistakes that many of you reading will probably notice and shake your head at. I do remind you all that this was MY story, and in no way reflects how anyone else may have observed the same events. This is the best I could do for you in an effort to make sure that the details of what happened aren't forgotten to the passing of time. Unfortunately even now I have difficulty recalling large chunks of time in the clan's history. Hopefully this is enough to keep some of it intact. Like I said, this was the best I could do and I hope that maybe it's good enough.

So how does someone go about ending something like this? To tell you the truth, I'm not exactly sure. I've never written anything that was half as long as this in my entire life. I've never needed to. This was optional, but I believe it was also something I've had to do for you all for a long time. You deserve to know what happened and why the people involved (at least myself that is) made the decisions they made. I'm sorry it's so "dub centric" but that's what something of this nature would turn out to be no matter what.

I'm putting off ending this, but I'll try now. For starters I'd like to thank anyone who actually made it here without skipping any parts. That's impressive in its own right. To end, I guess all I can say is thank you all for being a part of this clan. I still look at TTNB as being my baby, and I've watched it grow for almost four years now. It's strange, having seen so many changes in something that I (helped) create. The joy I feel looking back at it is, well, pretty great. Seeing an idea grow and form this community has been not only eye opening but also very enjoyable. If you had told me on July 5th, 2010 that on May 18th, 2014 I would have just written over ten thousand words about people I hadn't met yet I don't think I'd have believed it. But I just did. And that's because it's been one of the greatest experiences of my life to have known all of you for so long. It was worth it. I would never give you up, or let you down. I'd also never end this with that darn song. Instead, I'll end with something that's a little bit out there for me:

I am going to say that Phil, aka dubyahhh, wholeheartedly thanks every member of TTNB that there has ever been or ever will be for making his dream of creating the greatest TTR community ever a reality.

----------
The following is based off of everything above, because I like statistics and I find these things interesting. It does not include itself in the calculations, meaning that these statistics are not self-referential. Maybe some of you will think them interesting, but I’m putting them here because I’ve never written this much and I’m very excited to know that I managed it!
Statistics:
Words: 16,506
Characters: 84,521
Characters (No Spaces): 68,685
Sentences: 938
Paragraphs: 213
Pages Single Spaced in Word: 28
Average Sentence (Words): 18
Average Sentence (Characters): 91
Keywords:
Time: 79
Clan: 79
Sadaar: 71
Admin: 65
Remember: 47
Site: 41
Deborah: 37
TTNB: 37
Staff: 36
Jean: 34
Ryan/Say892: 32
Thanks/Thank You: 29

Dub/dubyahhh: 20

Last edited by dubyahhh on Wed May 21, 2014 7:30 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Added in grips paragraph)

~Carl Sagan(Look him up)

dubyahhh
N00b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shycheers on Mon May 19, 2014 7:12 pm

Can I please have that novel hard bound copy please please nice monster post dub u achieve far more then any1 could expect just like always big hugs
Shycheers
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by XxHydroxX on Tue May 20, 2014 2:46 pm

Damn bro, I expect long posts from you and Cassie [I miss my CasSammich so much D:] (Beethoven_Sandman, for those that don't remember the ex-admin/super admin with me in TTVIP), but this blew even what I expected from you out of the water.

I loved how complete it was from your point of view- and I may even consider doing the same one day telling my experience from being a noobish bronze member straight out the gate (When I joined, there was no Chocolate VIP (rank before you made your introduction post) all the way to my rise, fall, and rise again from Super Admin to reset to Leader to reset to Super Admin. I got in my fair share of disagreements with the staff, especially during the chaotic period you mentioned where we had 4 leaders in the span of 5 months. [6 if I include Abhaya (Freshmasta and my own) temporary leader experiences. I didn't like being leader honestly, so I was content being the omnipotent Super Admin with more authority than the rest of the Super Admins (Aside from Clay, whom was Angel VIP and Super Admin after he retired, although he wasn't on often since we was busy as UCF where he currently attends college.)

So, I'll just add a few things to your post:

My peak before retirement in OR was 4334. I liked this because it was a palindrome, but I participated in a good 60-75% of all of VIPs contest, resulting in me having over 28 ROWS of awards, each row containing 8 awards (224 for those that like math.). I was an awards whore, BBCode whore [I had access to Emerald, Diamond, Ruby, Sapphire, Admin, Super Admin, Angel, and the newer Platinum and Gold commands] I had unquestionably the second most commands out of everyone. I had my own ego during all of this, and I wanted to be better than everyone. At tap tap, at VIP, at posting, at awards, at codes, at recognition and fame that I had gotten by being an admin, Tapulous Mod, by high scores and everything. I would hop on a chatroom in TTR3 and everyone would know me from somewhere and I would have no idea whom they are. I relished in it. I even modded inside the app to customize my avatar- dubbing me the name "Seizure Mod" for my flashing, color-changing gifs of my avatar. I mean, I legit got to level 767 strictly though UNRELENTING tapping, just to quench my ego for being known as a pro and my own popularity in Tap Tap. You see, like Dub said, I didn't have much going on in my life in high school- I had my asian [now ex] girlfriend whom joined VIP because I dedicated so much time to it, some friends to smoke with, and sometimes just driving around. Other than that, homework was a breeze and I could do it all last minute and still get 100%'s on so I was posting on VIP often.

Anyway, my point in that convoluted rambling was to tell ya that you weren't the only one with an ego at this time, Dub. I was pretty fierce with it myself, but I did it in a position of manipulation and eventual power even within the Admin circle. In fact, during that admin application all I put in my application for super admin was "Look how many forums that I run. Score: James-7, Rest of the ENTIRE CLAN: 5 (Diddles55, my brother and fellow Admin amongst that: 3)"

Needless to say, we both got promoted then. But I remember that application and kinda chuckled as I remembered. xD

Anyway, sidetracked again, I'm gonna post what I had originally wanted.

Regarding the "Hive mind" view of the admins: Don't worry, most of them were incompetent and were only admins due to being active first and having the ability to stop most disputes in chat.

Regarding the me 'shaking my head': Don't worry, you had your own things at that time to focus on- I may choose to cover it in my own 28 page post. A lot happened, none of it good really. The only good thing that came from it was that it showed that the leader at the time wasn't nearly as good of a leader as they thought they were, the admins finally woke up to the fact that VIP was declining and dead after 2 years of constant declining, a fact John [tekn0] and I were aware of 2 years prior and which is why we just tried to screw around and have fun, and a reason for my retirement 1 year before VIP closed for good. I retired because things lost it's zest and I just was bored of it all- tired of being more of a leader than ever the leader[s] of that time, tired of the same-ol-same-ol when I saw the decreasing member count daily, and bored of the new admins they tried to add just being friends of the current admins instead of being the ones that earned it (FYI- I tossed your name, Ryan's name and Lucy's name all in that hat since I was an original member of Popular Tappers (ask Sadaar if you want to confirm) which was how I joined here on the second week of TTNB even being around (back when it was using  Guillaume's server (PSyKoW). ) I had set that up, tried to get foundational things for PT, running the Street Team, AND managing my own MiniClan (Tits or GTFO) after RegaliaRemix [James 2.0] had retired. I was a busy motherfucker, and tried supporting both clans TTNB and TTVIP, because the need for fighting was stupid. This is when my ego died a bit myself.

Anyway, great post. I liked the nostalgia. Smile

XxHydroxX
Ruby
Ruby

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dubyahhh on Tue May 20, 2014 9:41 pm

I actually thought about Beethoven_Sandman when I realized how long this was getting James. I too remember her being the admin that had the longest posts. Once I thought about her (probably around page six or seven) I honestly started going pretty hard to make sure this was the longest thread (or four posts, I still wish it had fit) that anybody'd posted around here.

I tried to make it as complete as possible. I don't want to forget everything that happened since I've always looked at it as being important. It was difficult to remember a lot of the specifics; I was really surprised. It's one thing to say "I joined VIP and three months later I left with Sadaar and Deborah to make the TTNB you know today" but it's another thing entirely to explain how and most importantly WHY everything that happened happened. If you were going to write a long thread from your perspective (which I would be extremely interested in since you were, as you said, so involved in VIP's inner workings and all the turmoil it went through with its leaders) I'd recommend doing it sooner rather than later. I had to rely on old emails and screenshots for probably a solid 20-30% of this thread. Just a thought. I really would love to hear it from your side. Like I said above, I don't know much of anything about what happened to VIP after we split from it since I was so afraid to go back. Which is another thing I regret. I wish I knew more about that story. It didn't stop when I left of course, but it did stop for me. I'd appreciate reading about how it continued.

You started those flashing avatars? I'd always assumed some hacker had started that. Good to know. I liked them, it's too bad Tapulous didn't implement some of the changes its members made for everyone. Like how Apple adopted a lot of its features from those found in jail broken idevices.

It's also nice to hear I wasn't the only one with an ego. I'd like to think people grow out of those for the most part. I don't know if that's true or not. I find myself going "huh, I guess you're right" a lot more now than I ever did three or four years ago. You did have your plate full at VIP. I remember that much too.

It's easy to stop an argument when you can just ban someone for five minutes. I learned this my first few months as an admin. It's a lot harder to talk people down though, and the ability to do that is definitely something that's needed in an admin. I'm not sure where I was going with this paragraph. 0_o huh. Weird. I'm gonna hit enter a couple times and forget about this.

It's extremely nice to hear you offered my name up for nominations back then. I remember Lucy would have been a good option too (and she was actually a staff member at one point after she left NB (she was in and out; she and deb never got along and I don't know if they would even now)). I never did hear Ryan's story about all this. He was active once he got into NB is all that I remember. I didn't know him on VIP. It's also very interesting to hear that you were a part of PT. By the time I got there I think you were admin of Tits or GTFO. I'd laugh at that name now, but then I was still pretty sheltered and naive. But yeah, I didn't know you were in PT. I'll take your word for it. Glad to know you were part of the group!

I hope that everything I wrote wasn't too harsh towards VIP; I realized when writing this how big of a jerk I'd been through most of what happened (and therefore I remember VIP as being pretty unfair, but I tried to write this as unbiased as I possibly could since I now realize this was absolutely not entirely true). I wish I hadn't been so bad, but what's done is done. I'm glad you weren't alienated from either clan. That's definitely a good thing. I messed things up so much I spent my time hiding out here after VIP came back. I missed a lot.

I write so much even as a response because I've had nothing to do for the last two weeks since college let out. I start work on Thursday so maybe I'll start curtailing the length of what I write then. We'll see. Thanks for your input James, I hope you write something of your own like this. You could definitely make it as long as I did. It's the details that really make the length get out of control and I think you would remember as many or more than I did or ever could.

~Carl Sagan(Look him up)

dubyahhh
N00b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by XxHydroxX on Wed May 21, 2014 1:57 am

I understand completely how you felt- I felt frustrated at them most of the time aside from MAYBE four members in a giving setting. I even had my fights with John occasionally, but we ended up going "pffft" about it. PS- Did you know he is married and now has a kid? Crazy stuff. His life took a sharp turn for the better.

Also, I currently have work 12 out of 14 days, and the one day off per week is essentially catch-up-on-bills-and-expenses type of days, so my rant may be whilst I have my insomnia going crazy as *^* one day and I'll wind up typing a hurricane- or type it all gradually and eventually post it in a week. We shall see. Unfortunately, I have no screenshots, so it would be strictly memory based- which is fine considering I remember about a good 85% of everything that happened from me being some Bronze-Silver noob and 57th member of VIP and meeting Drew [evilrhythm], the first admin of TTVIP whom actually lived on the same street as me. Crazy as *^* how things like that happen.  He's actually the one whom recruited me back then in around December of 2009. It was my Sophomore year- which seems like almost yesterday and not nearly half a decade ago.

But, anyway, in my roadmap here is what I will cover:

-Introduction to TTR
-My Ranking
-The little Noob who could.
-Making my name in the community.
-My first #1
-Getting in to VIP
-My Journey from:
   -Bronze to Silver, Silver to Gold, Gold to Emerald, Emerald to Diamond, Diamond to Sapphire, Sapphire to RESET COMPLETELY, Chocolate to Bronze, Bronze through Platinum, Platinum to given my Diamond again, Diamond to Evil Admin, Evil Admin to Trial Admin, Trial Admin to Admin, Admin to Leader, Leader to Admin again, Admin to Super Admin, Super Admin to Leader again, Leader to Angel, Angel to Super Admin OMNI [This was my final rank, where I had almost every BBCode.]

*Side note: This doesn't include momentary ranks, such as Black Admin, Ghost Admin, Hydro Admin, Sky Admin or Choco Admin. These all happened, but they were there because Dante and I were screwing around with the ranks when he became leader, even though I was Black Admin for a month and Ghost Admin for two weeks.

-My inclusion with the events of VIP
-My involvement amongst the Administration
-Eric [Tapulous Staff member] recruiting me and Katie Higgins
-Becoming Tapulous Moderator and how I met Chris
-The revolution of TTReloaded
-The beginning of the end of TTVIP
-"Whare iz Supahst0res?!" noobs ruining the community
-The impact of Guillaume to Tapulous
-Reflecting back on everything
-Admitting to my failures as a Admin, Friend, and Member
-My retirement; The Retirement of XxHydroxX
-Coming back after 2-3 years and seeing the ashes of the community I loved.

So, that'll be a brief roadmap of what I intend on covering. Any more information or subjects you'd like me to cover? I'll add them to the list where it fits chronologically. Smile

XxHydroxX
Ruby
Ruby

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dubyahhh on Wed May 21, 2014 8:36 pm

John's married and has a kid? Geez, last I'd heard of him he was out of work. It's good to hear he's on track again.

Would have been neat to meet someone from the clans... I lived far away from everyone else, except for one admin who lived in Rochester (about an hour away). So I've never met anybody from here. Someday maybe, but not yet.

As for all of your bullets there, I'll just assure you that if you write it, I will read it and comment. I remember the superstore people and how the admins always hated that. I probably made some stupid jokes myself about it that weren't appreciated. There was no superstore by the time I joined anyway. I did get access to Harrison's eventually I think. It was nice to have, not that it mattered much.

I'm most interested in Psy's impact on Tapulous, your reflection on it all, and whatever your admition of failure might be. I know I had my own share, but it feels good when you say it out where everyone can see it. If you get around to writing it. No hurry. If you write something like this too maybe more people would catch on. I don't know, we'd have to see. Thanks for expressing interest in this, it means a lot when people have the ability to reply to something this long. I'd be intimidated personally, I know I was when I went to just proofread it. I'd have to respond with something long myself to feel like I'd earned being a part of the same thread!

~Carl Sagan(Look him up)

dubyahhh
N00b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ryugecin on Thu May 22, 2014 6:04 pm

Wow, now I finally understand why psykow was so feared....

excellent read!!!

I should write my own.... but i dont have very much to say lol

it also seems you found out how to use the css selectors

2014-03-02 16:44:40

ryugecin
Amber
Amber

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by say892 on Fri May 23, 2014 2:11 am

Heehee Very Happy

Alright, so I'm gonna be honest, the whole quote of "me being admin, you stop being a n00b thing" was actually forgotten. UNTIL NOW THAT IS! Also, the word cheif has actually only now been realized that it is spelled wrong. Apparently, I never cared enough to check... Oh well!

Seriously though everyone, Dub is awesome. If I could write a 16,506 word post (or multiple I suppose) about how awesome Dub is, I would! But... I don't have the dedication to research for four days like he does. Although he did cover most of it himself with that AWESOME picture of those three cool people in chat. I don't think he mentioned that it took 2 (maybe 3?) tries, and the sticky at the time was "DON'T POST IN CHAT" or something along the lines.

So things like Gen 3 Pokemon remakes (I'm more of a Ruby guy, but I had Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald), Pokemon in general, Ocarina of Time (I JUST GOT MY OWN N64!), League, League Esports (Cloud 9 is awesome, TSM had a lot of roster changes so we'll see how they do...), and other stuff could let us have a good conversation. Smile

Hopefully I'll be around a bit more so we can chat and catch up!

Oh! And Software Engineering is correct Dub! Well done! :clap:

say892
N00b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ryugecin on Fri May 23, 2014 5:24 pm

I'm totally OT-ing this, but I'd be much more a fan of gen3 remakes if

a) I didn't have to buy a 3ds or 2ds (like $1xx or $2xx, I don't have that much money to throw around)
b) emulators
c) I own ruby already: alas, "the internal battery has run dry" =(

2014-03-02 16:44:40

ryugecin
Amber
Amber

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dubyahhh on Fri May 23, 2014 7:34 pm

@Ryan: I've never forgotten that I'm not really a n00b anymore since I like being your n00b bro. Razz That was actually an example of me using my hidden developer powers on you as well. I can't say exactly when that was, although I believe it would have been soooometime around May or June 2011 based off of your rank (Gold) and mine (Sapphire). That would have been right around the last time I officially outranked you! Wink

I think deb told me you'd been spelling it wrong and I just fixed it one day for you. No one else noticed it most likely. I've always remembered it for some reason, probably my weird recollection of every big spelling error I've seen here. Like how Sadaar spelled beginning wrong when he made the first banner.

I'm pretty boring really, but I'm not saying you shouldn't write a 16,506 word post about me (rolling eyes smiley here). You might not have the dedication right now, but try sitting in my shoes for a week and a half and see where you're at. I have nobody where I live to hang out with and I spent a week and a half literally talking to myself at least ten times as much as I talked to other people (this isn't an exaggeration, it was a lot). It's enough to drive you insane. Insane enough to write until the insane goes away a little lol

I remembered that the sticky was something like that, I didn't remember that it took multiple tries. I do remember that you guys were really fast and I was really slow because I was doing it on my iPod. I was really glad I managed to even keep it going a few times!

The remakes should both be good; in spite of playing sapphire as a kid I can't wait to play both of these! I've seen that they set a placeholder date of November 30th for their release which would put them right in time for finals week. My hope is that they release them sooner, and allow me to waste thanksgiving break instead. Because I WILL play them for an entire week straight. I almost did even for X. For remakes of my favorite childhood games... I might have to tell my friends that if I don't say anything for a week to come find me and save me. As for your N64, my roommate has one (so I never needed one) and you're right, they're fantastic!

For LoL, my laptop has been acting extremely buggy as far as LoL is concerned (I've lagged out of two ranked matches in a row so I've probably been reported a dozen times. I haven't played in  three or four days because of this and I honestly feel really bad about making my teams lose) so I haven't had much of a chance to play it... I did determine that the issue is my connection and probably not my laptop itself because when I tried to watch the TSM vs C9 match today it wouldn't let me watch it live even in 240p. Which is horrendous quality; you need at LEAST 480p to watch it and 720p to watch it right. So I've got to fix that. But yes, I've seen their roster changes. They got a couple really good players, hopefully for them they'll be good replacements. I like C9 also because of the fact that they're so consistent. They're just always balls, meteos, hai, sneaky, lemonation. I haven't found a weak point in their team comp yet. Like with TSM I always thought that TheOddOne was their weak(est) link, but with him gone I'm interested to see how it will go for them. We'll see! Day full of games tomorrow I think. I haven't checked because of work but I'd imagine they'd have a couple days of games like usual. They added a couple of new teams too Ryan, have you seen that? Some new Chinese team and then some other team. Maybe someone will give C9 some competition this split! I'm actually pretty excited. Smile

I do hope you're around more now! If I can fix my wifi (tomorrow's my best shot, my family will be gone to my brother's baseball game) then I'll probably be around most of the day. As far as I know anyway. I'm probably going to go see the new X-Men movie this weekend too but I think that'll be Monday...

I knew it was right! n00b Engineer bros for life lol :highfive:

@ryu: I can't type worth anything on my iPad, I keep refreshing the page and losing this edit. The gist of what I already wrote in reply was that I agree with you that those problems stink. And that I too know the sadness that is a gen three game without berries (all three of my gen threes have dead batteries). Sad

Last edited by dubyahhh on Fri May 23, 2014 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I forgot Ryu because I was typing on my iPad, my bad.)

~Carl Sagan(Look him up)

dubyahhh
N00b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top