Star Wars v Lord of the Rings

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Regardless of what Dub has to rant about, which franchise do you prefer?

20% 20% 
[ 1 ]
40% 40% 
[ 2 ]
20% 20% 
[ 1 ]
20% 20% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 5

Star Wars v Lord of the Rings

Post by dubyahhh on Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:33 pm

It's come to my attention that this:

Testing BBCode here, don't mind me.

is a thing, and that LotR lost it.

Now, I respect Star Wars, enough that I actually skipped a class a couple of weeks ago to watch Return of the Jedi.

Need I remind everyone about the fact that that franchise didn't stop there on a high note, but proceeded to give us this:

and before even that it had even given us this? DURING the original trilogy, no less. This was a thing. And no one thought to stop George Lucas here.

Again, to be fair, I do respect Star Wars. I have a friend who can do a one man version of the entire original trilogy. It's basically the coolest thing I've ever seen. I think it's awesome that the movies were so great as to inspire someone who was born 15 years after they came out to memorize every line and transition based off of just the music (which is how he does it).

This brings me, rather abruptly, to my main point.

The Lord of the Rings trumps Star Wars. Why, you might ask? I shouldn't just say this and then neglect to reinforce the idea. So, let's see where I go with this (this is an impromptu argument, I haven't thought my wording through and want to see what it ends up as).

To begin with, we could look at the impact on pop culture each franchise had. In all fairness, that's how polls like the one I'm arguing about are won. For example, Firefly, which is FANTASTIC, has a diehard fan base (of which I have to say I'm a part of since I think I'm in love with Nathan Fillion and the rest of Serenity's crew) and won against even Star Trek (which I agree with, and I'll get to this) because of the loyalty of its fans. It was cancelled before even the first season was over, while Star Trek has had at least 20 seasons and technically 12 movies (don't try and argue with me here, the most recent two "Star Trek" movies, while entertaining, weren't truly Star Trek). Firefly was an underdog with very little actual material, yet it toppled one of the greatest franchises in the history of entertainment. But my point is, it was because its fan base is insanely supportive.

I'm getting a little bit off topic here, so let's see if I can get back on it. Star Wars' popularity legitimately surprises me. Think about it this way, George Lucas created three great movies (and one of the worst of all time that no one seems to know about) around 1980. Then around 2000 he decided he wasn't done, and made three more movies that in no way stand up to the might of their predecessors. He gave us child acting, Jar-Jar Binks, and what I think is disgraceful, that scene in the Clone Wars where Anikan and Padme are rolling around in a field on Naboo. I liked the third movie, Revenge of the Sith, but it just doesn't compare to the original trilogy's creativity and deeper meanings. Strictly speaking, in my eyes, the Star Wars franchise hinges on the three movies that came out over 30 years ago. Which is fine, I don't think that degrades its quality at all. I just think that a franchise should be judged first off of its best material and then off of everything else that it encompasses. So basically, Star Wars is awesome because of the original trilogy, and that the newer movies haven't turned everyone off to it is a sign of their quality.

I'm getting lengthy, and I haven't reread this so I have no idea how it's going. However, I do know that I haven't even started to explain what makes Lord of the Rings so great yet. Let's see if I can approach this gingerly:

First of all, I say forget Lord of the Rings and let's refer to the franchise as "Middle Earth" for the sake of this argument. It makes my life easier, and I think it gets my point across better.

Lord of the Rings is a trilogy of BOOKS set in Middle Earth. Anyone who's read them or seen the movies should know that much. If not, that's fine.

My main reason for saying "Lord of the Rings is better than Star Wars" is that Lord of the Rings is ONLY the popular name for the histories of Middle Earth. The Lord of the Rings is written about the War of the Ring, which is the war that results in the destruction of the One Ring and the end of the Third Age and the beginning of the Fourth. Did I say THIRD Age? Yes, yes I did. Does that mean there were two more before? Logically, yes. But in fact, it's even BETTER. There was a time before the First Age, before even the elves had awoken. The First Age was dominated by the war between the Elves, with their allies the Valar, and Melkor, who was actually Sauron's master. Puts. Sauron. To. Shame. Seriously, the war that consumed the First Age put the War of the Last Alliance of Men and Elves (When Isildur cut the One from Sauron's hand and thus ended the Second Age, it's at the very beginning of the Fellowship movie to give it a little background) AND the War of the Ring, which was the largest war of the Third Age, to shame. If you thought the Lord of the Rings movies were epic you should just wish that they would make a movie about what Tolkien wrote about the First Age.

So, one age, the least of ages, got the Hobbit Trilogy (of which the third movie had better make up for these last two (they have it set up soooooo much they better not let me down, I mean)) and the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Which no one is arguing are fantastic works in themselves.

Tolkien was nuts, he created an entire world in his head and wrote about all of it because he was a language professor at Oxford. George Lucas is.... Well, he's George Lucas. You know. He had three good movies at least (not based off of books *cough*).

Final summary, I guess, is Star Wars, while fantastic, lacks the sheer amount of high quality material that Middle Earth has to offer its fans and that is why it just shouldn't have won that poll.

This got long. I have no idea why this happens to me. Sorry for the lengthy post guys, I was just pretty incensed that LotR lost to Star Wars.

~Carl Sagan(Look him up)

dubyahhh
N00b

Location : Upstate New York (There's more to the state than NYC)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Star Wars v Lord of the Rings

Post by Rexton777 on Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:05 pm

My vote totally goes to The Lord of the Rings. That doesn't mean I dislike Star Wars, but The Lord of the Rings is a breathtaking trilogy, the movies are great and the impact of this trilogy is still present now a days, not talking of The Hobbit, which pretty much complements more the story.

Bronze
Bronze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jamie00 on Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:57 pm

Has Dub ever written a post less than 1000 words long?
For me it's The Lord Of The Rings, every single time. I used to miss a lot of school (that's another story) and LOTR was one of the things that kept me going. My family trilogy of all time. And the books are just breath-taking.

Designer

View user profile https://soundcloud.com/jbaileymusic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top