[ 0 ]
33% 33% 
[ 1 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 3

Ryugecin's absentee mumblings

Post by ryugecin on Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:58 pm

So fair warning that this, like my other posts, is a long rambling road. I suspect few other than dubyahhh will care to read and not skim all of this post

I haven't been here in at least a few months, so in case you guys forgot, I'm Ryugecin, the charter of medusa, continual rager over BR and DTS.

My TTR obsession has faded. I don't chart, I don't even play it because it's broken. 2014 was the year of The Pinball Arcade - a very good game in my opinion, although slightly overpriced. As far as rhythm games go, my new obsession is Cytus, which has a color perfect window that is far too small for the perfectionist in me, and osu!, a game with a stupid sounding name but that is actually quite difficult. Its so far the only rhythm game where I can't do very well on the highest diff level (shameless brag). Of course, I want to throw my mouse out the window whenever I screw up and get a 100 hit, but that's neither here nore there, nor over there. 

Let's take a look at cytus! It costs $1.99, not unexpected given that a) it's a mobile gae, and b) it has a TON of songs. It's more geared towards casual players, it seems (things like acc% [aka TP] are pretty hidden away, and the PFC [any perfect full combo] is rather easy to get, at least on the opening songs. Of course, 100TP, or even FC-ing Freedom Dive, is another matter entirely, but again, neither here nor there. Oh dub, have I used enough nested and long parenthetical quotes yet?). As far as I know, it has little to no community, not surprising given that a) song updates are less frequent than TTR and b) you can't make your own custom songs. And no, don't ask anyone to try to find out how to make customs... someone's done it, but I have no idea how.

Now it's time for osu! ! (stupid exclamation point name. go away. kthxbai). It's free, given it's on PC, and it has thousands and thousands of mostly anime sound tracks. Oh and it's as annoying as your in laws. Cursor just a bit too far over to the right? Miss! Didn't spin at 300 RPM or whatever on this thing that no one saw coming? Your combo can go die! And of course,when that happens, it's around the same time I throw my mouse at a wall, but that's neither here nor there.

So what does osu! have that TTR now lacks? ACTIVE DEVELOPMENT! Of course, you could say that we don't have a community for TTR anymore, especially now that we have TS (although that seems kinda dead too...), which actually brings me back to the point that I was trying to make, if I even had one when I started this monstrosity.

In my completely biased and probably at least partially wrong opinion, games like this (the rhythm ones) get 90% of their activity and content from their 10% power users. TTR didn't allow custom charts (nicely) and kinda died after Disney was like "screw this, I'm not pumping out any more nigh-illegible themese that go with random pop songs that come from the Billboard 666420 or whatever".
Does TTWP even exist anymore? I don't know. osu! has only survived because it has a constantly growing and active community. Sure, they have their drama, like this random stuff about Cookiezi and racism and eyesight or whatever, or the BATs being reduced to a pile of junk because they lost all their special privileges, or whatever, but we had drama in TTR too. Witness Krohn losing his pants over just about anything (I wasn't even playing TtR back then and I can still feel the reverberations), or things like TTRT being overall bad, or the leaderboards, or even in this community, random things that I don't know about and that I'll probably get shot at if I say, then things like Medusa and Lukeskillz (which I think I'm indirectly responsible for his banning, in a sense), and then of course TTR getting shut down, and who knows what else.

So why did I post this? I honestly don't know. This has sat for two hours now, and I'm just grasping at straws, trying to see what's left of TTNB. We've lost novnikon, a fond charter with a sour tongue. We've lost Minus, sort of nov's spiritual successor. We've even lost mclovin, an always-gregarious fellow who... well, I don't know what he did in old TTNB, but I suspect he was a lot more active before I got to TTNB in summer 2012 or so. Come to think about it, I don't even see David. Then there's killer_instinct, who changed his name about 350 times. And there's also sha1 or someting I don't even remember his name, and probably all the lost souls in TTWP, or ... okay, I'll stop, this is going nowhere. I just want a community back, even if it's not the same one from 2012. I just want a rhythm game community that I can call home. The osu community isn't very welcoming, especially to people who can't even score a 50pp play. Maybe I'll be there in a few months.

For the record, this post came about as I was sorting through my 2012 photos. Among other things, I found a few screenshots of my TTR plays, as well as some things about TTNB. It got me thinking.

I'm not going to even attempt to conclude this. THere's no TLDR that could adequately sum up the mix of emotions running through my head as I write this.

2014-03-02 16:44:40

ryugecin
Amber
Amber

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ryugecin's absentee mumblings

Post by Shycheers on Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:40 am

Ryu is nice 2 hear about what Uve been up 2 an always nice 2 c ur ramblings serge plays TS still and others r here now an again and thank u 4 the game rating it's always nice 2 c if other games r liked thank u
Shycheers
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dubyahhh on Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:40 pm

Hey now, you can never have too many nested parenthetical quotes. That's not a thing. I should know, I'm the absolute master of them.

You know, it's sad to see no one around anymore. But, and this is a very large but (I'm trying to be serious, but immature me just chuckled here), you have to remember the good times we had. We used to spend hours in the chat box, now chances are I'll never see any of you there again. But hey, those conversations happened! No one and no thing can take those away from us, not even time. They happened, and they will never be forgotten. I haven't seen or heard from Ryan or Sadaar in months (well, a month for Sadaar anyway) but I still count those two as two of my best friends.

The inexorable passage of time makes people sad. It's never bothered me that much. I know if I talked with any of you I'd like you just as much as I did the last time we'd talked. Smile

Time marches on, and so do we. It's up to us to decide whether we want to remember the past and be happy, or to remember it and miss it.

To quote one of my favorite people, it's best to remember that no matter where we may be right now, we're all together on this fragile little world... I don't know, that always makes me feel pretty good.

You reminded me I had to do something... Heh, been wanting to do this for about five years now. XD thanks ryu! Love you man ^^

Edit: first, sorry about the font. Second, I made my rank "N00b" which I believe loosely correlates to "clan leader" (for what it's worth). Razz Thanks for reminding me to do that ryu. I doubt Ryan or Sadaar would care lol

Last edited by dubyahhh on Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I'm literally a n00b)

~Carl Sagan(Look him up)

dubyahhh
N00b

Location : Upstate New York (There's more to the state than NYC)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aza292 on Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:43 am

I have to say I read that entire thing, and I don't care if it was ramblings. It's just good to hear from you Ryu and I have to say that you have stirred up a few emotions inside me as well. Although that probably has something to do with just reading Carl's introduction as well. But still I am very much agree, I wish there was a community like NB was back when I first joined. Also I do believe TTWP is still going. And I still haven't joined lol.

Hope you're doing well and maybe I'll see you around, which is unlikely as uni has just started back for me and I will likely become even less active on here than I have already been.

Amber

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by say892 on Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:47 am

I haven't tapped much in quite awhile. I actually just deleted TTR4 from my phone, all 3Gigs of it (I saved the tracks, don't worry)! Is that my way of moving on? I don't really know. I knew, and I think a lot of other people knew too, that TTR was going down, and with it, TTNB. It pained me of course, it's been FOUR years since TTNB was created. And there are SOOOO many memories (good and bad) from over the years. But as Dub and many others say, all good things must come to and end. We have memories, screenshots, etc. that we all will hold onto for years to come. 

If there was a game as active and large as TTR, then I'd all for try it, I just don't think there is anything like that, and I don't even know if anything like it will appear again.

I am super grateful for all of the people and n00bs I met here, and all the skills/practice I learn/got from Sadaar. There's SOOO many memories (oh gosh I'm repeating myself) that I'll hold onto for a long time. Eventually we'll all drift apart (some of us already have as mentioned) but we won't forget each other.

Super cheesyness aside, I must say I also giggled at large but. Also dub is still a n00b and finally embraces it. 

And now I don't know how to end this either. Soooooooo I gotta go do homework now. See ya all around. Smile

Edit: Crap that sounds like a goodbye. You aren't rid of me yet! I'm still here! Twisted Evil

say892
N00b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top